Collections Spotligh - Rotary dial telephone
click photo to enlarge
Rotary dial telephone. In 1900, a telephone line from Meeker, CO brought service to Steamboat Springs, a distance of approximately 90 miles. For some time, only one phone existed in town and was located at the Hugus Mercantile store on Lincoln Avenue. Those wishing to make a call had to wait in line. The Yampa Valley Electric Association formed in 1940 and electrification of the rural areas occurred in 1941. Rotary telephones replaced the need for a manual operator. Users could now enter a phone number and call independently from phone to phone. Although invented much earlier, rotary telephones were most popular from the 1930s through the 1980s.
Special thanks to Resort Lodging Company
for their support of the museum!
The Covid-19 virus is a serious risk. Those visiting the Tread of Pioneers Museum voluntarily assume that risk and expressly waive any and all claims against the Tread of Pioneers Museum in any way related to any illnesses possibly contracted at this venue or any of our events.
Tribal Lands Acknowledgement
The Board and Staff of the Tread of Pioneers Museum respectfully acknowledge the Ute people, the original inhabitants of Northwest Colorado, and other Indigenous Nations of this area where we now reside. We recognize that the establishment of this region impacted the lifeways of Native peoples and their communities. In accepting this, we are called to utilize this educational institution to teach stewardship of the land and continuing commitment to the inclusion and respect of these Nations and their traditional values for their homelands.